Thursday, March 12, 2015

Lord of the Rings Musings

STORY TIME.

So I LOVE Lord of the Rings. The books are classic, and the movies are hands down my favorite movies OF ALL TIME.

I watch it when I'm home alone for the weekend and need something to cover up the way my house creaks like an ax murderer is coming up the stairs. I watch it when I'm sick and bitter and just want to watch something get destroyed. And sometimes, like today, I just really feel like watching it because I miss the world and the characters. It makes me nostalgic.

I was a part of the young generation that got obsessed with Lord of the Rings. I was only about twelve years old when the first movie came out on DVD, and hadn't seen a PG-13 movie yet. I knew I wanted to see this one, but my mom told me I had to wait, that she wanted to screen it first to make sure it wouldn't be too much for me.

Then my mom left for a PTA convention.

And that night, on his way home from work, my dad stopped at Blockbuster and rented The Fellowship of the Ring.

Little Meghan, the approximate year
the obsession began.
I felt like the biggest rebel in the world when he pulled out that movie, and then felt like the most adulty adult who had ever adulted when we sat down and watched it together. And of course, because it's Lord of the Rings and Peter Jackson killed it, I became obsessed with the movie.

I had all of the action figures (including a talking Treebeard!) and I dressed up for the next midnight premiere and immediately read all of the books. And, lest you think my mom isn't cool, she got us to the midnight premiere (back when midnight showings were actually at midnight) of Return of the King so early that they let us sneak into the theater and watch the movie that was showing before Return of the King. We had the best seats in the house come midnight.

Now anytime I turn on Fellowship of the Ring, I think of my dad and feeling rebellious and falling in love with a world that drastically affected the way I write today. It's funny how the books and movies we love end up with so many other memories attached to them.

What books or movies have attached themselves to some of your favorite memories?

No comments:

Post a Comment