Friday, August 15, 2014

Deadlines and Such


I'm pretty sure this image is the story of my life. I'm a great goal setter, and since I am unpublished and schedule my own work hours, my deadlines feel a lot like goals. It's the following through with those goals that is difficult... Good goals need to:

  • Be Defined: saying you want to be healthier is good, but it's a little difficult to measure. Saying you want to lose 10 pounds, or eat all 5 servings of fruits and veggies, is better. There is a point when you can look at it and say, "I DID THAT."
  • Have a Deadline: Otherwise you'll have no reason to work on your goal. Using the above examples, you could say you want to lose 10 pounds by the end of the year, or eat all 5 servings of fruits/veggies every day for three months.
  • Earn Something: Having the above two are the most important. But I also function really well with incentives (as do most people). So say I wanted to eat all of my fruits/veggies every day for three months. I'd need to choose a reward equivalent to how difficult this goal is. So realistically, I would want to get Cold Stone ice cream (because CAKE BATTER WITH REESE'S CUPS MMMMM).
Goals are awesome. And fun. But lately, as I've been adjusting to my new schedule, I've been kind of sucking it up. Looks like I need to readjust those incentives.

I did pretty well for Ready Set Write, but I fell a little short and didn't quite finish my revisions. However, I've been cruising along still and am close (and have a query letter that I'm really, really excited about!), and am excited to get some feedback from beta readers!

How is your goal setting going?

No comments:

Post a Comment