Monday, March 10, 2014

Fancy Book Goal

Recently I've been thinking a lot about reading, and the state of my "Read" list on Goodreads. I love all of the books I've been reading recently-- in fact, I can't think of a single book I've read this year that disappointed me. However, I have been reading a LOT of young adult.

Don't get me wrong, young adult literature is amazing, and is easily my favorite type of book to read. It has everything-- all the emotions and adventures and wondrous self discoveries that teenagers really do experience as they grow up. As an adult who finds more and more often that I don't know that much about myself, it is awesome to read about other people who don't know who they are. But recently, I have been wanting to branch out a little more.

It started with reading just barely out of my normal genres. I read These Broken Stars and my first leap into Sci-Fi. I read Mortality by Kellie Sheridan and Ignite by Erica Crouch in part because they are my friends, but also because I had never read a self-published book before. I read Looking for Alaska by John Green, even though six months ago I would have passed it by without a second glance. But now I want to branch out even further.

That's why I have set a little reading goal. I have chosen 10 books, found from various different recommendations from my favorite authors, professors, and even high school teachers. These books are not standard commercial literature that I normally read (but I just want to say it again because I can't say it enough: COMMERCIAL FICTION IS BEAUTIFUL AND WONDERFUL AND RELEVANT), and tend to be a bit more literary (with a lot of them being classics). I'm going to read one a month, and I'll let you know how it's going!

I'm starting with Blood of the Lamb by Peter De Vries, and am currently loving it. Here's the rest of the books, if you're interested!
  1. (Blood of the Lamb by Peter De Vries)
  2. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
  3. Animal Farm by George Orwell
  4. Round Ireland with a Fridge by Tony Hawks
  5. Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami
  6. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
  7. Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut
  8. Brave New World by Alduous Huxley
  9. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. Pirsig
  10. Catch 22 by Joseph Heller

No comments:

Post a Comment