Friday, February 21, 2014

Life As I Know It

Life finally seems to be settling into a rhythm for me, even though I still don't have a job. I'm really embracing the whole "full time writer" life now. It's like one day I realized that I probably won't be unemployed forever, and that the day will come that I'll have to drag myself out of bed every day and go to a paying job that doesn't leave much time for creativity. How much does that suck? A lot. It sucks a lot.

But it is not this day.

If you're my kind of person, you read that in Aragorn's voice. Anyway, so I've decided to really take Susan Dennard's blog series on increasing your writing productivity to heart, and the results so far have been AMAZING. I have written more in the last week than I have written the rest of the year! Here's what my day looks like so far:

  • Wake up (Pretty indiscriminate time... After getting 8 hours of sleep, no matter what time I went to bed.)
  • Basic morning stuff.
  • Eat a bowl of cheesy grits (Southern girl FTW)
  • Read 10 pages from my Edgar Allen Poe anthology (this is my trigger activity, the thing that tells my brain "it's time to create")
  • Write for 1-2 hours
  • Eat lunch
  • Answer emails, do WordNerds stuff.
  • Apply to jobs for 2 hours (sigh)
  • Read a blog post on the craft of writing.
  • Write for another hour.

And then I take the night for myself! When I first read about Susan's all-day writing routine, I thought that there was no way I could do that. And how could I be a real, serious writer if I couldn't sit down and focus on writer-ly things all day?

Now, I don't think you have to have that kind of time to be a serious writer (I know tons of writers who don't), but this last week has been so so great, and I dread the day when I won't be able to write like this anymore! Now, more than ever, I am convinced that writing is the career path for me. If you want to write more effectively, and get into that creative mood quicker, I HIGHLY recommend Susan's current blog series. It looks at the behavioral science behind making habits, and it really works. I love writing!

How do you structure your writing time?

No comments:

Post a Comment