Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Road Trip Wednesday!


Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.

This Week's Topic is: Imagine you get to open your own bookstore. What would it look like? What kinds of books would you sell?
---
This is actually something that’s been on my mind a lot lately… Though that probably doesn’t surprise anyone else who reads like crazy instead of doing homework or that Senior Thesis that just doesn’t seem as important as the life or death situation the MC is currently facing.

My book shop would be two stories, but square footage-wise it wouldn’t be huge. Maybe 1500 square feet? It would have rich brown and green walls, designed to feel just like that cozy home you wish you were living in instead of a dingy apartment with too many dirty dishes. The first floor would be full of bookshelves designed to match the genre of the books. If it’s fantasy, it might have turrets at the top, mystery might have jagged edges, etc. etc. I would sell a little bit of everything, with the emphasis being anything fiction.

Upstairs would be the café and reading area, full of squashy armchairs with foot rests- because, really, as a short person it is just a pain to try sitting comfortably without putting your feet up or resting them on something. There would also be a room in one corner of the upstairs with tables and chairs for studying, and in there I would offer reading classes for English language learners.

Assuming J.K. Rowling is my benefactor, so money is no object, the last thing (which I am SO SO excited about) is that my book shop will be teamed up with an NGO created by us and run by the people of Thailand. For every book bought by a patron, my shop will donate a book to a boat library, which will travel up and down the rivers of Thailand bringing books and reading lessons to the people in rural communities. Everyone has the right to read a book, I think.

Now all I want to do is get started on it! 

3 comments:

  1. I love that you would use your bookstore to further literacy around the world. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bookstore sounds awesome! I would love to just take a day and hangout there! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of the shelves matching the genre. Very cool! And supporting literacy in Thailand is an excellent idea, too. I hope J.K.R. comes through for you, Meghan... :)

    ReplyDelete