Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Road Trip Wednesday: A Real Road Trip!



Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered.

This Week's Topic is: In celebration of the release of Kristin Halbrook's NOBODY BUT US (hooray!!) we're asking: Zoe and Will set off on the road to seek a better life and encounter loads of drama on the way. What's the most dramatic road trip you've ever been on?

We love road trips!
Well, right now I live in a college town that is just that, and as such has nothing but a couple of universities, so I've been on my fair share of road trips. The most dramatic one that comes to mind is when my roommate got married about two years ago, in Colorado. The other four of us roommates decided we would make the eight hour drive to Colorado to see her seal the deal. What can go wrong, right? The trip up was average enough (lots of snacks- none of them healthy- singing loudly as only twenty year old girls can, and just general tom-foolery). We were so excited! We got a hotel room and stocked up on dinner foods and watched cheesy wedding shows all night long.

The wedding was beautiful, we got to hold really pretty flowers and talk to lots of old people and- of course- eat lots of good food that we didn't have to pay for.

THEN CAME THE JOURNEY HOME.

The person who made our map fell asleep as soon as we got in the car. So we followed it to the best of our ability, only to realize two hours into the trip that we had been following it the wrong way. We have now gone two hours in the wrong direction, making our 8 hour trip a 10 hour one. Not only that, but it was a Sunday, and some of the girls were a bit more religious, and so they only wanted to listen to instrumental or church music... I was DYING by hour 4. My fingernails were going raw from trying to claw my way out of the car.

Then came the storm. I don't know about you, but storms tend to bring out the crazy in me. I get so excited when a real storm comes through because it reminds me of home in Florida. Suddenly our instrumental music was the Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack, and suddenly we were dancing and singing again, but less out of joy and more out of hysteria. By the time we arrived home, I would be lying if I said to you I hadn't lost my mind a little. Was it worth it? I'm still deciding, but I think the answer is YES.

6 comments:

  1. Argh going the wrong way! That's always a nightmare! Sounds like it worked out in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it wasn't bad enough going 2 hours the wrong way, having to then drive through a storm...! I'm glad you had a great time at the wedding, which probably made the journey home worthwhile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Going the wrong way sounds like something I would do. I can't read a map worth a flip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roadtrips definitely need bad snacks and moments of madness. That's part of what makes them so memorable! I'm glad yours ended well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, I almost went the wrong way on our most recent trip. Luckily my husband caught it before we got too off-track. That's the worst!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go figure when the map tender is the first to fall asleep! Ahh! The Pirates theme music is pretty funny. Now you have all these great memories!

    ReplyDelete